lamppost3

History

Downtown Glencoe, or Uptown as some call it, has never been a huge commercial center, but it has always bustled. From 1902 to 1993, the district's anchor was Henry C. Weinecke's (Wine-eh-kee's) hardware store.  It stood in place as the community watched other stores change. The Wienecke building itself changed after the family sold the hardware store. The building was restored and reconfigured into a group of retail and residential spaces.


Over the years, The Glencoe Movie Theater was razed, as was its neighbor, the Masonic Temple in the mid-1970s. A five-and-dime store, two delicatessens, men's clothing and record stores, and even big name grocers like A&P, have come and gone. But new shops and restaurants have replaced them. Writers' Theatre, the award-winning Equity theater, which started in a space behind Books on Vernon, then expanded to a new theater at the Woman's Library Club, is now planning to create a new arts center building.

 
The Glencoe Chamber of Commerce has witnessed these changes and has grown to approximately 90 members who operate retail, service and professional businesses today. The Chamber itself has evolved from the Glencoe Business and Professional Association, founded in 1965, and serves as an important link between the businesses, the Village and the larger suburban community.

upcoming events

No events

loewy consulting banner

park ave